Tuesday, March 31, 2015

March


With the shelf exam finishing up, I was finally able to dedicate more time to volunteering at the KIPP primary school. One KIPP volunteer project I participated in was to clean some art supplies for the art teacher. While waiting for the art teacher, Miss. U, to direct me in the right direction, I was invited to sit in on one of her art classes, an opportunity I was more than excited for. The mini artists in this class who may have been 5-6 years old had just finished making personalized name plates and were getting ready for their “art museum time” where they gathered around to talk about what they had created. As I joined the huddle of kids around the brightly colored carpet, I enjoyed the side glances and shy smiles they threw my way as they wondered about this random stranger who definitely looked too old for kindergarten. While we progressed around the “museum” circle, I noticed that one of these young students was blind. When his turn came to share, he sat with the biggest grin on his face and had the most to say as he explained that he loved the square and circle 3-D shapes he had put on his name tag. It was so endearing to see this bright student express how proud he was of the work he had done. This student was teaching his classmates that art was beyond what you see or feel, its about making something on your own and feeling proud of what you have created because you made it. I later learned that this was one of the first couple days this student had been back at school since the traumatic accident that had caused his condition. Tragically, he had been caught in the crossfire of a drive by shooting that was targeted at one of his family members. It was truly saddening to see how the violence in our world had taken such an extensive toll on one of our most innocent. Despite this trying event and the challenging circumstances he has had to experience at such a young age, his positive outlook and thirst for knowledge was ever intact. I learned that he even loves art so much that he likes to accompany the art teacher to her other art classes as well where he participates as much as he can. I wish for that student to continue on to a bright future and that he keeps moving through life with that sweet grin on his face.

No comments:

Post a Comment